Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas

I'm sitting in my living room, watching my crazy son play with some CDs. Don't worry, they're his - so he can really do what he wants with them (within reason). I've had a very difficult time getting into this season. I had a friend tell me I was the toffee in the box of assorted chocolates. Not exactly sure what she meant, but I think it has to do with being the last thing left in the box and the one that no one really wants to touch. Looks sweet on the outside, but really quite hard and it gets stuck in your teeth. I'm doing better now though. Getting into the spirit of things. All of my shopping is done and I think it'll be a lot of fun to see Beckett open his presents. We'll also do Christmas Eve service at the church here that we like. We're Christmas & Easter sort of people at church. It seems that every Sunday morning we have better things to do. Like sleep in and read the paper. I hope my family is well this year. Some of them may read this more than they'll actually talk to me. It does bother me to some extent, but it kept my Christmas shopping rather short this year. I haven't talked to my nephew in several months and his birthday is coming up shortly after Christmas. He may read this, so I'll have to be careful how I put this, but his mom turned a bit loony this year. I'm sure he feels completely abandoned, but I wish he'd realize that the rest of his family is still here for him. He's also at that age where I'm sure there are a lot cooler things to do than hang out with your 31-year old aunt, but his cousin would sure love to see him. He always was a very cool kid and I miss him. It's too bad his mother went nuts - I haven't talked to her in goodness knows how long. Then, I have 2 other sisters - 1 I haven't seen or talked to in over 2-years. I've e-mailed, but never gotten a response. I don't know what her deal is. Holding a grudge against me not talking to her I'm sure. Then there's the last one - haven't seen or talked to her in about six months. I love how when it's convenient for everyone else is when they want to see me, but God forbid I don't have time for them.

Then there's my true family. The family you choose. I can't tell you how alone I would feel without them. My beautiful wife, our son, our best friends, my mom, her parents. Christmas is a time to enjoy life and be happy. It truly is one of my favorite holidays. I'm starting to get out of my funk and just in time to give presents!! I love giving gifts. And I think we found some really good ones this year.

Merry Christmas All!!!

No comments: